Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Faster than light

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Liquid*
E-peen of Ron Jeremy.
E-peen of Ron Jeremy.
Liquid*

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/us-science-light-idUSTRE78L4FH20110922

this opens up the door for......

time travel

^serious business there
Back to top Go down
Fatty
Fatty

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 1:08 am

I hate this "time travel" that keeps getting thrown around. It's so BS.
I really do not subscribe to the notion that time and space are the same thing though. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I do believe we could see back in time (look up at the sky at night and you're looking back in time by millions of years), but travel back in time? not a chance.

To see back in time however, you would have to head straight out into space away from earth traveling faster then the speed of light for an extremely long time. Eventually you will pass the light and be able to see back in time (though not up close because you would be extremely far way from earth.)

I'll try to explain this a bit better.
Take a date for example, a point in time. Say, 21st of June 1991 (my birthday). Light is reflected off the earth at that point in time, so that image is reflected into space and travels at the speed of light through space. To see that point now, you would have to travel faster then the speed of light in order to eventually catch that screenshot from the moment in time. In the time that screenshot of time was projected into space though it has traveled at light speed for 20years. So you would need to travel at double light speed for 20years non-stop in order to catch it. Yet this project has claimed to have traveled just nanoseconds faster then the speed of light. So you can imagine how long it would take to catch up, when that screenshot in time is still traveling at the speed of light and you are only catching up at a rate of nanoseconds at a time.

It's like two cars, one taken off 5minutes ahead going 100kmph. Then you take off. If you were doing 200kmph, it'd take you 5minutes to catch up. But if you were doing 110kmph it would take you 50minutes to catch up (correct me if my math sucks).

BUT, I do not believe you can physically travel back to that point in time and it baffles me how people think you can.

It's sorta to explain.
Back to top Go down
Zakatak
Come here often?
Come here often?
Zakatak

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 2:33 am

So, what, we turn people/ships into Tachyons or something?

Warp bubble method works better.
Back to top Go down
FrenchB
FrenchB

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 am

Experimental error IMO. (not even 1% above known value of "c")

Or we have a newer more accurate value of "c". Thus, no downfall of theory.

btw, c = speed of light, duh
Back to top Go down
flaskmaster
Newb
Newb
flaskmaster

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Just slingshot a starship around the sun.

Damn newbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Faster than light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faster than light   Faster than light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Faster than light
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Offtopic Lounge :: Intelligent Discussion-
Jump to: